Monday, October 6, 2008

Recap of San Sebastian

Hey Everyone,
Its so hard to write these blogs, and try to recap such a great weekend in only a few words. My roommates and I, along with a group of 5 girls, all departed Barcelona on an overnight train to San Sebastian, which is located in the North Basque region of Spain. The overnight train was quite an interesting experience, especially sleeping 2 feet away from a stranger, and a bunkbed with 3 beds on top of one another. However, I took a sleeping pill and awoke in the early hours of Friday morning, in San Sebastian. San Sebastian is a small beach town, and of course the second we arrive it starts pouring rain and hailing.
We check into our hostel, Olga's place, which turned out to be one of the highlights of the trip. The lady who runs the hostel, Olga, was a Russian lady who was absolutely hilarious, and made our experience welcoming and entertaining. Back to our first morning in San Sebastian, we hung out in the hostel and played poker with our group and others, and hung around. Once the rain/hail calmed down, we walked around the small town of San Sebastian, and ate "Tappas" which is a local food, sort of bite-sized foods. I was not feeling good, so did not indulge very much, but heard that they were very tasty. For dinner, we ate at the local Chinese restaurant, which was extremely delicious, and entertaining. As I have not been feeling great, I decided to take it easy and hang out with locals in the hostel, and take the night to relax.
Saturday morning we all awoke somewhat early, as in 11 AM. San Sebastian, aswell as Spain in general, does not start there days untill 9-10 AM, which is a complete change/luxury compared to the States. In the morning, we all went to a local cafe and ordered coffee's and pastries, and ended up eating lunch at one of the worst restaurants ever, which was supposed to be "American Food." After we fueled up, we decided to take a walk to the "Ciudad Vieja" which means the old city. On a hill, there is a statue of Jesus, and a historical park, in which we hiked to. The area and views were unreal, so beautiful and such a nice change from the busy/populated city of Barcelona. After sitting at one of the most beautiful outlook spots I have ever witnessed for several hours, we hiked down from the monument and continued exploring the city.
I really enjoyed the later part of the afternoon, walking around with only 2 of my roommates and I was able to meet/converse with several locals in Spanish, and receive dinner recomendations. I was able to converse with one local couple for a good amount of time, and they took us around the city to find a dinner spot. They recomended a small local restaurant, in which sat about 50 people. When we arrived at our reservation at 10PM, the restaurant was completely full/extremely hot, and filled with a group of 30 men celebrating a bachelor party. It was a nice change, because we were finally not the loudest group in the establishment. The atmosphere was great, food, well..... not so great, but usual for Spain, unfortunately.
Then theres Saturday night.... Such a fun night. Navigating around a small town with hundreds of bars next to each other. Its also great that its a small town, as locals are much more inclined to talk to us Americans, as well as the Spanish girls. Speaking of Spanish girls, we left on a 9 hour train Sunday morning, which I thought was going to be one of the most miserable waste of 9 hours ever. It turned out to be extremely interesting, and entertaining. As you all now I am not very shy, and there was a gentleman behind us talking with 2 very attractive ladies. He had a very deep voice, so I asked him in Spanish if he was a Opera Singer. From that moment on, our specific train car was singing, dancing, and laughing, for the majority of the 9 hours. I spent most my time talking to one of the most beautiful girls I have ever met, who is from Barcelona. I conversed in Spanish, and although she corrected my grammer and conjucations many times, we were able to communicate, and I hope to see her in the very near future. I will update everyone on the status of that situation......
Ok... that was my weekend. Today, Monday, I had my first real assignment, which was a presentation on Business Ethics, in which I did extremely well on. Tomorrow is our first soccer game, in which our team, plays the CEA (school) advisiors and teachers. I will let everyone who wins the game. This coming weekend I may travel to Madrid, and I cannot wait. Hope everything is good in the states.
On a sadder note, please pray for Johnny Cirele, one of my best friends, as his Mom is on her way to a better place, and he needs all the love and prayers.....

No comments: