Monday, October 20, 2008

Amsterdam, Holland

Hi Everyone,
First and foremost, I am so happy for my cousin Hayden, who got married over the weekend. I was supposed to be there, but unfortunately due to my programs strict attendance policy, and the airlines lack of flexibility to change the dates so I would avoid missing class, I was not able to make the journey. I was pretty bummed that I could not make it, but was there in spirit, and hear it was a wonderful and joyous occasion.
This weekend, I traveled to Amsterdam, Holland which was quite an experience. What a beautiful country, and so nice to breathe fresh air again. I appreciate traveling so much, especially when not in a huge city. The weekend was very fun, and I traveled with 4 of my roommates, and met a friend who studies in France. We spent Friday exploring the city, and visiting many of the local tourist spots. Amsterdam is extremely unique, as there are hundreds of "coffee shops" which sell marijuana, and it is 110% LEGAL. Coming from the United States or any other country, this was an extreme culture shock. We spent the day getting accustumed to the vastly different culture, and then finally found our hostel (inexpensive hotel).
This was by far the worst place I have ever slept in, as it was an underground room with walls, which did not even reach the top of the ceiling, so we could hear everyone in the surrounding rooms. The beds were absolutely horrible, and had holes in them, and it was not clean, and the sign read: "BEWARE OF MOUSE/RATS." However, this is part of traveling, and turned out to be a funny story, although most of our backs feel horrible.
Friday night, we ate dinner at a local Thai restaurant, which was delicious, and then went to a comedy show. This was really fun, as it was an improv show, and some of our suggestions became integral part of the comedians acts. We also hung out with one of the comedians after the show, which was very funny.
Saturday we woke up early, to people talking in the rooms around ours in the hostel, and started our day. We had breakfast, and then spent the day at Vondel Park, which is very famous. The area was unreal, with the most beautiful lakes, trees, and greens, and so nice to be in the nature, unlike Barcelona. In the later afternoon, we walked around the city and the flower mart, which is filled with tourist and people from around the world.
Saturday night, was a night to remember. We ate dinner at an Indian restaurant, which was AMAZING, and drank beers. We then heading to the Red Light District, which most of you have heard about. It is true, "drugs, prostitution, sex shows, and alcohol" everywhere and completely legal. Don't worry, I was a good boy as I care about my health and come from a good background, but is fascinated to experience a culture which is so open to everything, as long as it is contained in a certain environment. Girls are in the windows with red lights surrounding them, trying to solicist themselves to every man/woman/dwarf that walks by. Quite interesting and amusing. Yes, i made it home spending minimal money and not doing drugs/ making any mistakes..
Sunday we had the entire day to visit the cultural aspects of the city, which I always like. We started the morning by visiting the house, which is now a historical museum, of Anne Frank. I am sure most of you know who she is, but for clarification she is a famous young author who experienced the holocaust, and unfortunately was killed. Her diary, now The Diary of Anne Frank, was published, and is one of the most famous books of all times. Witnessing her house and reading about her story, as well as being able to visualize what happened, was actually quite emotional. I feel badly for all the victims of the holocaust, and appriciate my life so much. After this, we raced over to the Van Gogh museum, which was incredible. I am not a big art person, but was extremely intriguied by his masterpeices, and loved spending a few hours there.
Sunday late afternoon, we tried to go to the Henekien factory, but it was closed for renevations, which was kind of a bummer, but we went suvineor shopping, and then ate our final meal in Amsterdam, a local chinese restaurant. Overall, it was a great once in a life time experience and trip, and I love experiencing the different cultures. Amsterdam was by far one of the most drastic differently cultures I have yet to experience.
As for this week, I have a lot of work coming up the next 2 weeks, so it will be nice to get on top of that. This weekend, our whole house stays in Barcelona, as we have excursions with our program, in which I will eloborate and update on later. Tonight, Monday Night, we have a huge soccer game in which we play the only other undefeated team in the league, so please wish us luck. I will let you know the verdict.
As I end this blog, I want to thank everyone who sends me e-mails, its awesome to hear back from those who I love and miss. Johnny and his family are always in my thoughts, so if your reading this I love you JC. On another sadder note, Alex Okano, a friend from high school is in serious condition after an accident at school, so I pray for a speedy and complete recovery for him.
-Brandon

No comments: